- Current Quarter Office Hours
- Cal Poly Resources
- Career Opportunities and Internships
- Study Abroad Opportunities for Physics Students
- Curriculum and Courses
- The Learning Center is closed for Summer
- Paid Tutor List - Inclusion in this list does not imply endorsement by the Physics Department
- Department Safety Guidelines
Physics Department Advising
- For Physics major coursework advising, contact your physics advisor (or the department office if you are unsure.)
- For general academic advising, contact the COSAM Advising Center or Mustang Success Center .
- Pizza Advising every Fall quarter by the Physics Department Chair
Courses at Cal Poly
Courses at other community colleges/universities
- See which courses will transfer between Cal Poly and California community colleges, other CSU and UC campuses at ASSIST: www.assist.org
- Find on-line courses at California colleges and Universities here: www.cvc.edu
Thinking about Changing your Major?
The Physics Learning Center - Closed for Summer
The Learning Center is a free, no appointment-needed, drop-in tutoring center staffed by advanced Physics majors and Physics faculty for students needing help primarily with the Physics 120 series and 141/130 series. Feel free to drop in with questions or problems you might have.
Senior Project Information
- Senior Project Guidelines (pdf) (Physics Department)
- Submitting Your Senior Project (Cal Poly Library)
- Physics Department Senior Project LaTeX Template(txt) (named "Senior Project template.tex_.txt" to comply with upload formats; rename to "Senior Project template.tex" to use)
Clubs and Social Life
Physics Majors:The Cal Poly Physics Department has approximately 200 majors. During the academic year, most of them can be found studying, emailing, socializing (or sleeping) in their dedicated student room known as "h-bar," (180-639).
Society of Physics Students (SPS):There is an active SPS chapter on campus. Information about their activities can be found on their Facebook page.
Cal Poly Women in Physics (CPWiP):
Cal Poly Women in Physics (CPWiP) is a student club affiliated with ASI and the Cal Poly Physics Department. The club was started in 2009 with the goal of providing support for female physics majors, who represent less than 15 percent of all students in the department. Social events, professional development, conference attendance, and research opportunities are promoted by the club for the benefit of all physics majors, regardless of gender. Visit the club website and Facebook page for more information. Please let us know how we can help, and we hope to see you at our next event! The faculty sponsor of Cal Poly Women in Physics is Dr. Jennifer Klay. For more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Minorities in Physics Club:
The purpose of the Minorities in Physics Club is to act as a resource and provide a space for physics students to engage in discussion of issues regarding diversity and inclusivity such that their collective voice is represented and they become empowered in their ability to thrive in academia.
Cal Poly Astronomy Club:
The Cal Poly Astronomy Club is a student-run organization that meets, socializes, and observes things astronomical using the telescopes in the Cal Poly Observatory.
Feel free to contact Dr. David Mitchell with any questions.